Down Comforter Size Guide
You may have noticed that, unlike mattress sizes, comforter sizes can vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. Plumeria Bay® down comforters are sized to fit most of the quality duvet covers made today, including those that we offer. Since it is the duvet cover that will determine how the duvet will fit your bed, this is an important point to keep in mind.
When laying on the bed, our regular sizes (Twin, Queen, King) will hang about 15" over the sides and foot of the bed (without a duvet cover). When one or two people get into the bed, the comforter will be pulled up to settle around the sleepers without hanging and dragging (causing a feeling of weight), over the side of the bed. Our Super sizes (Super Queen & Super King) are for people that wish to cover their extra deep (up to 19") mattresses.
Plumeria Bay® Comforter Sizes*
- Custom German Size: 54" x 78" For individual sleepers (for example, a couple that uses 2 different warmth duvets on the same bed).
- Twin: 72" x 88" For Twin Size 38"x75" and Extra Long Twin 39"x80" beds.
- Queen: 90" x 94" For Queen Size 60"x80" beds.
- Super Queen 100" x 100" For Queen Size Beds with extra deep or pillow top mattresses.
- King & California King: 108" x 94" For King or Eastern King Size 76"x80" & California King Size 72"x84" beds.
- Super King: 114" x 100" For King Size and California King beds with extra deep or pillow
*Dimensions are stated width first, then length.
For example, our King/Cal King Size duvet is 108" wide by 94" long.
The dimensions stated above are approximate and may vary slightly depending on how
much down is used in the comforter.
Our Down Comforters, by Size
Our down comforters
- Cascadia™ Sizes: Twin, Queen, Super Queen, King & Super King
- Traditional Luxury™ Sizes: German, Twin, Queen, Super Queen, King & Super King
- The Apres™ Sizes: German, Twin, Queen, Super Queen, King & Super King
- The Plumeria™ Sizes: German, Twin, Queen, Super Queen, King & Super King
- The Silk Plumeria™ Sizes: German, Twin, Queen, Super Queen, King & Super King
- Eiderdown & Silk Eiderdown Sizes: German, Twin, Queen, Super Queen, King & Super King
- Down Alternative Comforters in Twin, Queen & King
are available in a wide range of warmth levels; Ultra Light, Light, Winter, Canadian Winter and Klondike winter. The amount of down used for each warmth level
will depend on the size of the comforter. This information (the amount of down used) can be seen on the product page(s) and will change as you select the different sizes and warmth levels. Our down alternative silk filled comforter is available in a Light year around warmth.
The sizes above will cover most situations, but if you need a comforter sized just for you, we can do it! Please see our custom down comforters page for more information.
Your Comforter & Duvet Cover Sizes
It's important to
remember that the size of the duvet cover will determine how much "hang" you
have over the sides of your bed. A good rule of thumb when fitting a duvet
cover with a duvet is to use a duvet cover that is the same size as your comforter
or smaller (we prefer about 2" smaller, more or less). A smaller duvet cover has the advantage of a nice snug fit, keeping
the duvet from swimming around inside the duvet cover, while enhancing the loft of your duvet. Confused by the terms "duvet" & "duvet cover"? This should help clear things up.
You may want to keep in mind that "German" size and "super" size duvet covers, to fit our German size, Super Queen & Super King comforters, are not widely available. We've got you covered though, as we also offer a nice selection of duvet covers in German size, Oversized Queen & Oversized King sizes. We also offer custom size duvet covers and bed linens, sheets, etc. No project is too small, or too large!
Down comforters are very
fluid and will fit into a duvet cover that is several inches smaller without "bunching" up, so if your current duvet cover is several inches smaller than the comforter you are considering, don't be afraid to give it a try.